Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bedtime story


Everyone has been fawning over Henry's big week, but I had a pretty monumental one too. I've have moved from sleeping in my crib to my big girl bed!

I have to give credit to Mom and especially Dad, who pulled off a pretty impressive, and smooth, transition. After my bedroom was renovated and painted a few months back, I was able to run around in the empty room and get used to the idea that someday it would be my bedroom. Then when they had the closet done, I got used to the idea of having a biiiiig space for all my clothes. The next step was when the bedroom furniture arrived , and I was so thrilled to see it that I couldn't wait to get on my new big girl bed (unfortunately I had to wait a week until the sheets arrived).

Finally, my parents started talking up the big girl bed over Memorial Day weekend as Henry made his appearance, and the guardrails were installed on my bed. And last Wednesday, Henry's third night home, they pulled it off and got me to sleep in there. It was easier than I thought: they moved all my stuffed animals, nightlight, books and the other stuff in my nursery over to the new bedroom. Aside from getting nervous for a moment early on and telling Dad "Want crib" (he ignored me and I soon forgot about it), the transition has been flawless and drama-free. I like the fact that Dad is actually in bed with me as he reads my bedtime stories. Take a look:



While bedtime goes off without a hitch — I've slept peacefully through the night every night I've been in there — my post-lunch naptime is a bit trickier. It takes a little time for me to get sleepy enough to close my eyes in the afternoon, so I'm always looking for something to do. Sometimes that means throwing all the stuff in my bed onto the floor, but one time over the weekend I actually got out of bed and started walking around my room! Dad put a stop to that pretty quickly and said I can only go out of bed if he or Mom helps me, and I've listened to him ever since.

I really love my new room and have barely thought about the old nursery. But hmmmm, I wonder what will happen to it, and my old crib?