Sunday, December 19, 2010

Around the World: Day 1


At long last, we're ready to tell you all about our fabulous Disney World vacation. I got over my tears as soon as we arrived at the airport, and I was very good on the flight (it helped that they showed one of my favorite Christmas shows, Prep & Landing). Henry napped for a bit on the flight but had three separate crying fits during the flights (it turned out he just wanted milk). And that was pretty much the last bit of trouble he gave Mom and Dad all week.

The next morning, we were all set for Day 1 of our Disney adventure. First up was the best park of them all: the Magic Kingdom. We were a bit delayed in the morning because Henry and I had some trouble getting up early (especially after getting to bed late the night before), then the monorail broke down, which delayed our entrance into the park. But after that, we were all ready to go. First up was the Dumbo ride, which Henry really enjoyed:



We moved on to Peter Pan's Flight, which was hands-down my favorite ride at Disney World. The runner-up was It's a Small World, which we went on next:


Not all the rides were a big hit with us. Neither Henry nor I liked the Winnie the Pooh ride, and I made Mom take me out in the middle of the PhilharMagic short movie, because I didn't like the 3-D elements. But that was quickly forgotten when Henry and I had our first character meet and greet of the week (and one of the best): Jessie and Woody from Toy Story!


It was really fun, especially because we had dressed up as them for Halloween. We were all smiles afterward!


Mom promised if I was good and ate my fruit, I could have a treat that I had been coveting: Mickey Mouse ice cream. And where better to eat it than in front of Cinderella's Castle?



We took in the Dream-Along with Mickey show (in front of the Castle), and then relaxed on the PeopleMover, which gave us a leisurely tour of Tomorrowland (though I didn't like the parts that were in the dark).


After that, it was time to wait for the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade.


The parade was a blast, and I saw so many of my friends there. Then it was time to meet another one: Buzz Lightyear (also from Toy Story). Henry was so excited as we waited in line!



Buzz did not disappoint!


By dinnertime, we were spent — but happy!


We concluded the day with a real treat: watching them light up the Castle at night. It was breathtaking!

These photos are great, but you really need to see the Day 1 video to appreciate it. Here it is:



That's it for our first day. Check back soon for Day 2 at Animal Kingdom!